St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care.
Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, the OB Surgical Technologist is primarily responsible for providing health care to patients. The OB Surgical Technologist participates in data collection, planning, and implementation of patient care.
The OB Surgical Technologist is an individual who assists the members of the surgical team by scrubbing and handling the appropriate instruments, supplies and equipment, etc., necessary to provided optimal patient care during a surgical intervention. This individual also assists other team members in order to create a smooth, functioning unit.
The intent of this job description is to provide a summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this position and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Performs clinical procedures within scope of practice
2. Performs glucometry, phlebotomy procedures and collects specimens.
3. Follows treatment plan as directed by Clinical Coordinator/RN.
4. Schedules tests/procedures.
5. Performs necessary functions to ensure patient safety, comfort, and satisfaction with service.
6. Assists patients to mobilize as appropriate
7. Communicates new orders, change in patient’s condition, and unit concerns with the unit-based team.
8. Restocks unit supplies as needed according to specific checklists.
9. Completes documentation per hospital policy.
10. Performs 1:1 patient watches as assigned.
11. Demonstrates ability to prepare for surgical procedures including confirming supplies, equipment and appropriate instrumentation.
12. Prepares sterile tables with efficiency and accuracy in an organized and consistent manner including ensuring instruments are in safe working condition
13. Follows OR safety practices maintaining a safe environment for patients and supporting safe patient outcomes including surgical counts.
14. Demonstrates ability to use knowledge of procedures to anticipate needs of the surgical team from draping to closure.
15. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique and attentive to members of the team.
16. Handles surgical specimens in safe, appropriate manner per appropriate handling policies.
17. Demonstrates ability to follows appropriate process for handling surgical instruments/drills/equipment in appropriate manner.
18. Works collaboratively with RN and members of the surgical team to meet highest level of compliance in quality metrics and successful patient outcomes.
19. Demonstrates knowledge of ethical care, patients rights and supports culture of safety through verbalization of safety concerns.
20. Assists in clean-up of instruments and room.
21. Maintains responsibility for own development through active participation in inservices and/or continuing education programs.
22. Functions as a role model and resource person providing guidance to co-workers.
23. Complies with established chain of command for work-related problems.
24. Participates in identifying unit needs and supports unit goals and objectives that contribute to the growth of the department.
25. Maintains confidentiality of all materials handled within the Network/ Entity as well as the proper release of information.
26. Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding issues of employee, patient and environmental safety and follows appropriate reporting requirements.
27. Demonstrates/models the Network’s Service Excellence Standards of Performance in interactions with all customers (internal and external).
28. Demonstrates Performance Improvement in the following areas as appropriate: Clinical Care/Outcomes, Customer/Service Improvement, Operational System/Process, and Safety.
29. Demonstrates financial responsibility and accountability through the effective and efficient use of resources in daily procedures, processes and practices.
30. Complies with Network and departmental policies regarding attendance and dress code.
31. Demonstrates competency in the assessment, range of treatment, knowledge of growth and development and communication appropriate to the age of the patient treated.
Other related duties as assigned.
Please complete your application using your full legal name and current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications and licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!
St. Luke's University Health Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.