PURPOSE OF THIS POSITION
The purpose of a surgical assistant is to perform the highly skilled technical tasks associated with assisting the surgeon and operating team. The surgical assistant works as first assistant to the surgeon during the intraoperative phase.
Duty 1: Collaborates with the surgeons and surgical team members in providing safe optimal outcomes for the patient.
Duty 2: Demonstrates intra-operative ability to handle tissue, provide exposure, utilize instrumentation, suture and provide hemostasis.
Duty 3: Maintains sterile field while moving throughout the surgical suite.
Duty 4: Tailors care to meet the age specific and developmentally appropriate patient care.
Duty 5: Functions as a team member and works collaboratively and interdepartmentally with the circulator and scrub nurse.
Duty 6: Functions as a team member and works collaboratively and interdepartmentally with the circulator and scrub nurse.
Duty 7: Demonstrates appropriate isolation techniques and procedures in accordance with universal precautions to maintain a clean and safe work environment.
Duty 8: Assumes an active role in keeping informed regarding changes in policies, surgical procedures and equipment.
Duty 9: Demonstrates cost effective awareness and practices efficient and non wasteful use of supplies and equipment.
- Enrolled/graduate of a Surgical Assistant program or equivalent training and experience
- BLS certification
- Has knowledge, skills and judgment necessary to assist the surgeon and perform the necessary skills
- Positive service-oriented interpersonal and communication skills required.
- Individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on his/her assigned unit/department. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient status. Must be able to interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to their age-specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in the area’s policies and procedures.
- Open Heart experience preferred
This position required a full range of body motion with intermittent activities in sitting, walking, lifting, bending, squatting, twisting and standing. The associate must be able to left 50 lbs. Must have excellent eye/hand coordination with the ability to grasp, push/pull, finger dexterity and fine manipulation, and be able to use foot controls. The associate must be able to reach above shoulder height. This position requires corrected vision and hearing in the normal range. The associate must have excellent verbal skills to communicate with patients, physicians, and co-workers.
This position is classified “at risk” for possible occupational exposure to blood borne pathogens (HBV, HIV, etc.)